Piel Island is half a mile off the southern tip of the Furness Peninsula in Cumbria, though historically within Lancashire A 14th century castle is managed by English Heritage although they do not operate the ferry (not running today a Saturday in July!)
Sellafield in the UK is a nuclear fuel-reprocessing site over looking the village of Seascale on the Irish Sea coast of Cumbria. Sellafield incorporates the original nuclear reactor plant of Windscale, which is now undergoing decommissioning and dismantling, as is Calder Hall, a neighbour of Windscale, which is also undergoing dismantling of its 4 nuclear reactors.
The Windscale fire of 1957 was the UK’s worst nuclear incident, a fire broke out in unit 1 of the 2 pile facility (the facility was a part of Britain’s atomic bomb project. The fire burnt for 3 days and there was a release of radioactive materials.
BEACH HOUSES NEAR THE PLANT
UNKNOWN TOWER NEAR SEASCALE
Continuing on towards the sea (on the West Coast) which we reached at Bowness-on-Solway.Where it started to rain.
We stopped at Holm Cultram Abbey. The 1st Monks came to this site in 1150. Dissolved in 1538 and fell into ruin. In 1880s the church was restored, & in 1913 the roof was restored pre-Reformation timbers were found, however the roof was completely destroyed in 2006 in an arson attack. By 2010 the windows and roof were reinstated.
The rain became worse by Silloth but stopped enough at Skinburness for another lighthouse adventure, East Cote Lighthouse dates back to 1864 when it was a “mobile” lighthouse on a rail track however in 1914 it became fixed in its current position.
Also saw very nice monument to Edward the 1st (died near here on July 7, 1307, Burgh by Sands)
Augustinian Lanercost Priory best-preserved of Cumbrian monasteries. The east end of the noble 13th-century church survives to its full height. Some fine arches and tombs are to be seen at this site. Childhood mortality is recorded in a child’s tomb which is very moving to view.
Close to Haltwhistle is Errington Reay Pottery founded in 1878 at Bardon Mill by Robert Errington & William Reay this site is like stepping back in time. Bardon Mill was originally a water powered woolen mill.
We left the East Coast of England and headed across country towards the West Coast following Hadrain’s Wall
Stopping at many forts and Roman remains along the wall. Some parts were well sign posted and had many visitors others parts were more quiet and off the main tourist routes
Hadrian’s Wall runs 73 miles across Northern England and is considered the most important Roman monument in Britain.In built on the direct orders of Emperor Hadrian
in AD 122 & took 10 years to complete.
Well rain again over night but given the bright blue sky this morning decided I need to get a paddle on the seashore. However on route a stop off at Warkworth Castle while waiting for the tide to drop.
Near Amble notice a light house on a small island so more photo’s (on checking the OS map Coquet Island so I guess this is Coquet Lighthouse.)
Then on to Alnmouth beach for the rest of the day.
Mrs Eider Duck and Chick
The stone breakwater at Tynemouth extends from the foot of the Priory some 900 yards out to sea, protecting the northern side of the mouth of the Tyne. On its top is a walkway open daily. On the lee side is a lower level rail track, formerly used by trains and cranes during the construction and maintenance of the pier. At the seaward end is a lighthouse.
The pier’s construction took over 40 years to build opening in around 1898 the original curved design did not hold against a great storm when the middle section was destroyed. The pier was rebuilt in a straighter line and completed in 1909. Another longer pier opposite at South Shields protects the southern side of the river mouth.
A lighthouse was built on the North Pier in 1864, but a new design was added when the 1909 repairs were undertaken by Trinity House.