Forts of the Solent (Spitbank)

spitbank fort1.jpg

 

Spitbank Fort today is luxury accommodation. In 1861 building started on this Fort. Its main purpose was to form another line of defence for ships that made it past 2 other larger Forts in the Solent {Horse sands Fort and No Man’s Land Fort}. Building stopped and only restarted in 1867 after government reviews, but not completed until 1878. The Fort was fitted with x9 , 12 inch guns. In 1898 the role of the fort was changed to defend against smaller craft so added to its  roof were x2  4.7inch guns and searchlights. In the early 1900s all but three original large guns were removed.

spitbank fort.jpg

Advertisements

Forts of the Solent {Horse Sands}

PF2.jpg

Horse Sand Fort  is 240 ft across, built between 1865 and 1880, with two floors and a basement the fort is armour-plated all round. During the WW2 an extensive submarine barrier  was built in the form of large concrete blocks running about 6 ft below sea level from the fort to the shore at Southsea with only a single narrow gap to allow small craft to pass through, this barrier and a much shorter one running south from No Man’s Land Fort towards Ryde Sands remains as the cost of demolition is  too high. Although owned by the same owners as the other Solent forts this fort remains un-restored at this time.

PF.jpg

PF3PF1.jpg