The ruins of Llanthony Priory are situated deep in the Vale of Ewyas, close to the Black Mountains. These remains are all that remain of one of the greatest buildings of medieval Wales. By 1108 a small church had been built and a group of Augustinian monks had established a community.
The priory flourished but nothing remains of the original buildings today as attacks forced the monks to retreat to Hereford and Gloucester. The original buildings were destroyed.