Continuing on towards the sea (on the West Coast) which we reached at Bowness-on-Solway.Where it started to rain.
We stopped at Holm Cultram Abbey. The 1st Monks came to this site in 1150. Dissolved in 1538 and fell into ruin. In 1880s the church was restored, & in 1913 the roof was restored pre-Reformation timbers were found, however the roof was completely destroyed in 2006 in an arson attack. By 2010 the windows and roof were reinstated.
The rain became worse by Silloth but stopped enough at Skinburness for another lighthouse adventure, East Cote Lighthouse dates back to 1864 when it was a “mobile” lighthouse on a rail track however in 1914 it became fixed in its current position.
Also saw very nice monument to Edward the 1st (died near here on July 7, 1307, Burgh by Sands)