A Place for the dead

gray3

Tucked away up a lane close to where the A27 crosses the river Hamble at  Burseldon is a small Mausoleum built in 1911 (although it looks older). It is in memory of Caption Shaw Storeys who lived on the local estate known as Elm Lodge (now known as Greyladyes) The estate is private but public access is now allowed to the  Mausoleum as it was restored by Hampshire County Council and Itchen & Hamble Countryside Project. Around 1998 the Trustees of Greyladyes Estate entered into a Licence Agreement, giving public access to the site in return for management of the land by the Parish Council.