The village of Upper Clatford is situated just South of Andover, Hampshire, close to both the A303 and A3057. The 12th century All Saints Church is in a rural setting by a water meadow. Modern outer glass doors have wood handles carved as trout.
I think we are all familiar with British Blue Bell woods and the spectacle in the countryside of the blue carpet. On the outskirts of Botley Hampshire is a wood that sports at this time of year a yellow carpet of wild Daffodils. (also known as Lent Lilies). The fast road and lack of pavement makes a closer inspection of these daffodils difficult but worth the short walk from the closest car park.
Anchored off Stokes Bay in the Solent is an American Nimitz class nuclear powered Aircraft Carrier the 1,092 foot (332.8 m) long USS Theodore Roosevelt (nick named The Big Stick) She is visiting Portsmouth for a few days. The seafront is was busy with sightseers taking in the spectacle . Not sure how many of the 5000 crew will sample the delights of Portsmouth.
This 2nd blog today which is mainly photographs of old tin mine engine houses West of St Justs. Some of the mines extend out under the sea. Many of these mines are sites of past mining accidents (or failures of Health and Safety).Many of these failures resulted in high loss of life. In one of the engine houses a pair of Kestrels were roosting (it looked as they may nest there later in the year), at another 4 Chough’s flew in to roost.
Today we arrived at Lands End so we have now been from John O Groat’s to Lands End in our campervan. Once you past Penzance and reach Mousehole the countryside becomes much more rugged and quiet (may not be so quiet in the summer). We also had fine views of the solar eclipse through clear blue skies which darkened and chilled as the moon obscured the sun. A worthwhile short diversion was a stop at the Minack open air theatre for a look and a cup of tea. The lighthouse off Lands End looks how a light out at sea should be. A tall light house towering from a rocky outcrop.
From Dartmoor we headed further South heading for Britain’s most Southerly point on the Lizard peninsular. On the way we stopped due to a Sat Nav hiccup at Lopwell Nature reserve and even got a glimpse of a Kingfisher, as well as Mute Swans, Canada Geese, Little Egret, Cormorant and several makes of ducks.
Great views on this bright clear day. Unspoiled countryside and headlands much of which owned and managed by the National Trust.
There is a Trinity House centre at the lighthouse on Lizard point but not open until next week. Also a walk down to the sea gives a chance to look at the turning of Serpentine rock into trinkets and stone lighthouses. Continue down hill and the abandoned lifeboat house built in 1914 clings to the gap in the cliffs.
Before finding a campsite for the night a visit to Church Cove with another abandoned lifeboat house this time turned into a holiday home. Above the cove giving its name is the church of St Wynwallow. The oldest part of the current building is the 12th century Norman doorway it is a grade 1 listed building.
With spring well and truly arrived we have decided to continue for a few days on our around Britain costal tour the East coast of Scotland is planned for later in the year the next few days are to complete the Lands End bit of our Lands End to John O Groats. journey and although the Cornwall end of this trip is a repeat of past holidays we wanted to refresh this part of the country.
Campervan packed and off through Dartmoor stopping at Postbridge and Princetown.(I think of all the visits over the years to Princetown this is the first in dry sunny weather. Normally the old prison look more stern in such conditions.
The large Church at Princetown, St Michael and All Saints now in the management of The Churches Conservation trust has an interesting churchyard. 4 rows of small grave markers only 30cm high show the graves of prisoners that died in the prison each marked with the date and the initials only. There is also a large cross recording the prisoner who have not marked grave as was the custom before 1912.
Often we overlook places we pass daily these photo’s record part of the River Itchen at St Denys Southampton. There has been a bridge over the Itchen here since 1883. a mile or so further up the river is the end of the tidal part of the riverThe current concrete bridge was built between 1926 and 1928 (opened in 1928 by the then Minister of Transport Wilfred Ashley.) While crossing the bridge some small tug boats were taking a sludge barge up to the local sewage works glad it was on the way up rather than coming back ! Each side of the bridge are a number of WW2 torpedo boats converted into houseboats.