St Johns Church West Bay near Bridport
The Church font was originally used in a sail loft facing the harbour. In 1862 it had been opened as Bridport Harbour’s own place of worship, first recorded as St Andrew’s Mission Church. Later in 1897 it became more affectionately known as ‘The Little Upper Room’ and remained in use. While local workers contemplated the construction of a new church. St John’s was built in 1936 to a design by Randall Blacking, an eminent church architect.Light and airy this Church feels like a seaside Church with carved figures of St Nicholas the Patron Saint of Sailors. The east window, consisting of five stained glass lights, also designed by Blacking, was dedicated in 1959 to both his memory and that of Canon Farrer, a much loved Rector of Bridport for over 20 years. The main feature is ‘Our Lord in Glory’ and at the base are the words “They that go down to the sea in ships and occupy their business in great waters, these men see the works of the Lord and his wonders in the deep.” The sailing ship at the bottom left corner is the Brigantine ‘Mary Hounsell’ built in the harbour in 1833, also the lighthouse of Portland Bill whose flashing light can be seen from West Bay is in the glass. Around the sides are many ship models and ships in bottles.